Monday, December 7, 2015

Remembering Joe Velez: An Inspiration to the Sport of Boxing



By IDran James

Remembering….Joey Velez June 23, 1925 - December 7, 2002


The Joey Velez story is one of those epic American tales of a boxer who, despite many obstacles in his life, emerged as one of the most determined and talented boxers to come out of the Pacific Northwest. Velez was a lightweight and a featherweight contender who became very popular in the Spokane, Washington, area in the 1940s and 50s.

Born on June 23, 1925 in Seattle, Washington, Velez would have to face many difficulties in his life. When he was a toddler, ‘Lil’ Joey Velez would contract polio at 17 months. As a result, his left leg was deformed and it would not be until he was five years old that he would be able to walk with crutches, and at 9 years old, he was able to walk unassisted. This was not the end of his health problems. At the age of 10, he would catch pneumonia, and then tuberculosis. He would spend 18 months in hospital, missing more of his childhood that had already been mostly taken away because of his childhood illnesses. Despite this adversity, Velez would go to the gym and overcome his health issues through physical training, which included boxing at the local YWCA.

Like most people that were affected by the bombing of Pearl Harbor by the Japanese, Joey tried to sign up for the armed services, and do his duty for his country. When the Navy and Army turned Velez down at the start of WW2, he would turn to boxing. As an amateur, he would fight many times on military bases and was driven by the anger he felt because of the rejection from the armed forces. He had a very successful amateur career and turned professional in 1947. He would adopt the name ‘Lil` Joey Velez’ in the Pacific Northwest and because well known and respected in boxing circles. His physical disability never was a problem in the ring, and for a man that had so many health problems as a child, his reflexes, and skill did not reflect any of those problems of the past.

Velez would go on to fight such fighters as Joey Dolan, Buddy Washington, Harold Dade, Henry Davis, Pinky Cowan, and George Dunn. Velez would fight until 1953 with a final record of 33 (14kos)-5.

Photo: Jodi Velez-Newel
After he retired from boxing, Velez was successful as a teacher, boxing instructor, graphic artist, and entrepreneur. On December 7, 2002 he died of natural causes. His daughter, Jodi Velez-Newell, has created a wonderful tribute to her Father that is one of the best tributes we have seen. Please check out her site, it is very informative, creative, and a great chronology of the life of a boxer.We could have gone more in depth about his life, but nothing could top her tribute. Please follow the link to her site: http://www.award-graphics.com/joey/index.htm

Copyright © 2015 The Boxing Glove, Inc. Peter Silkov Art. All Rights Reserved. Peter Silkov contributes towww.theboxingglove.com

6 comments:

  1. Hello, IDran, I just found this tribute while searching my dad's name. Thank you so much for posting this. Jodi Velez-Newell - Southern California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jodi, I remember your father Del's, The 318 and many years walking across the Fremont Bridge to the doughnut shop that was across the street. My father was friends with your dad (He was the bus driver that fished) Is any of this familiar to you?

      Delete
    2. My name is Fred Mainor Sr. I too remember coach and trainer Joey Velez, I was at a reformatory called. fort warden 1961 located in. Port. townsend washington. I was a 14 year old boxer there, joey was a state of washington contract coach there, he taught me some boxing skills there. i remember he had a silver looking device under his shoe, guessing now of his early childhood polio. Never seen him againnuntil as a grown man myself, decades later, I was visiting my older brotherbin a old hotel near Madison st. In Seattle and noticed a old timer somewhat suffeling down the hallway, and he looked a little familiar, even in his older age. ZI started talking with him, and one thing left to another.I was invited to his little onebroom apt. There, and he shared with me his old boxing scrapbooks, and I reminded him at one time as a teenage adolescent he had trained me, he couldnt remember

      Delete
  2. For example, a Simple Golf Solutions franchise requires start-up funds as low as a $5000 liquid capital with financing assistance available!Best Parkour Gloves

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sports inculcates the spirits of sportsmanship and sharing. Children playing together as a team, share and celebrate their victory together. guarantor loans

    ReplyDelete
  4. At age 13 I cleaned showers and toilets at a a gym in Rat City Washington. Joey lifted weights there. (American Gym? White Center 1960? I’ve concussions from the army 66-69 and some memory issues) The housing project and my family life was filled with violence. I found more violence as an adult. My twin sister and I were small for our age. Not enough food. Worked the bean and berry fields. Joe the owner of the gym and Joey the boxer treated me very well. Joey taught me to box. I was in the ten finalists of the Mr Washington contest at age 18. Both men were father figures to me. The confidence I learned from these two men helped all my life. Two of my brothers committed suicide. My twin sister died at 400 lbs. a brother died at age 59. Child abuse destroys some. Joey helped me to a better road. I joined the military police. I taught self defense classes there and later for a university. After the army I did social work. I became the mentor for others that they were fir me. I had no idea what a great man Joey was - or that he taught other kids boxing elsewhere. Modest man, and an artist/poet - I learned decades later who he was when I googled his name. I ended up successful in life. He helped.

    ReplyDelete