Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Mario Barrios vs. Devis Boschiero Fight Preview



By Stephen D. Donatelli


When I did the first edition of our new column, ‘Fresh Faces’ never did I think that Mario Barrios would be in a main event on National TV so quickly.  I recognized almost the same amount of talent in Junior Lightweight prospect Barrios as I did in rising welterweight star prospect, the undefeated, Errol Spence Jr.

Mario ‘The Golden Boy’ Barrios (15-0, 8koes) will take on former world title challenger Devis Boschiero (39-4-1. 21koes) in the 12-round main event of Premier Boxing Champions on ESPN, Saturday, July 9th, from the Sun National Bank Center, in Trenton, New Jersey.

Barrios holds a respectable amateur record of 85-10, and won multiple state titles in Texas.  Barrios can expect the biggest test so far of his professional career when he faces the tough and grizzled veteran and former world title challenger Devis Boschiero.  An experienced fighter out of Veneto, Italy, Boschiero challenged for the WBC World Junior Lightweight title, held by Takahiro Ao, but was defeated on points, via a split decision.

Boschiero has won his last two contests by knockout, heading into this July 9th clash.  He was unbeaten in his first 34 fights, and brings the necessary experience to push the younger Barrios.

In preparation for the biggest fight so far of his young career ‘The Golden Boy’ moved his training camp from San Antonio, to Las Vegas.  On fighting his first 12 round main event, "This is what  I have worked my whole life for, to be fighting main events on national television.  I'm confident little, that I’ll be able to go through the duck.  My goad is to get the knockout, I really want to make a statement in this fight"  The tall and lanky Barrios, is not looking past the rugged Boschiero.

A win for Barrios ensures him an opportunity at the the IBF world Junior Lightweight title, held by Puerto Rico’s Jose Pedraza (22-0, 12 koes.)   When reporters asked Barrios about the current state of the division, he replied,  "It’s a very tough devision, loaded with a lot of great fighters.  I would say Lomachenko, Pedraza and Vargas, are the top dogs for now.  Salido is also up there.  Its one of the toughest divisions in boxing.  I’m hoping I acan become a champion in this division.  A victory against Boschiero puts me right there to challenge for the title.  I’m a hungry fighter and everyone will see that on July 9th."

Like I previously said about Marios, if he wants to live up to the nickname of  ‘The Golden Boy’ then these are the types of fights he must win with conviction.  Devis has never fought in the United States, but many people, including myself, don’t believe that will hinder the outcome of the bout.  The Italian would sure love to storm back to Italy after having beaten the fan favorite Barrios.  Victory for Boschiero would put him right back into the title picture.

Is this fight coming too soon for Barrios? After just 15 professional fights, is this the fight where he makes his move, and shows himself ready to challenge for a world title?  In any case, some questions will be answered on Saturday night, and something tells me that Mario Barrio is coming to prove a point.




Stephen  Donatelli is from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and contributes to www.theboxingglove.com. If you would like to contact him on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/steved2012?fref=nf

Copyright © 2016 The Boxing Glove, Inc. Peter Silkov Art. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment